CAT AND DOG TEETH CLEANING IN LAKE ZURICH, IL
Diet, exercise, vaccines, and exams all play a part in your pet’s health, but cat and dog teeth cleaning is also integral for continued wellness. At Companion Animal Hospital Lake Zurich, we’re advocates for responsible, routine dental care both in the home and at our hospital. Call us at (847) 438-3750. We’ll help you create a lifelong dental plan tailored to your pet’s needs to give them a better quality of life.
WHAT IS DENTAL DISEASE?
Plaque and tartar allowed to build up on your pet’s teeth will harden over time and eventually spread below the gum line, releasing harmful bacteria. The bacteria will attack the surrounding gum tissue, creating deep pockets around the teeth. In some cases, the bacteria can even get into your pet’s bloodstream and affect their heart, liver, or kidneys.
The most common signs associated with dental disease include:
- Severely bad breath
- Brown/yellow discoloration on teeth
- Loose or broken teeth
- Excessive drooling
- Red, swollen gums (gingivitis)
- Decreased activity
- No interest in chew toys
- Dropping food
- Pawing at mouth
HOW WE CAN HELP TO PREVENT DENTAL DISEASE
At Companion Animal Hospital Lake Zurich, we offer these professional dental services to keep mouths and bodies healthy:
- Thorough, yearly physical exams that include a quick mouth check for signs of bad breath and discoloration
- A periodontal exam while your pet is sedated so our team can check every tooth and the surrounding gum tissue for evidence of damage
- Dental X-rays to help us detect and prevent oral health issues beneath the gum lime
- A complete teeth cleaning that includes scaling each tooth to remove tartar, and polishing the teeth to smooth the enamel and slow future plaque buildup
- Surgical extractions may be needed if your pet has any loose or broken teeth
All patients undergoing dental procedures receive customized pain relief to keep them comfortable well into recovery.
THE IMPORTANCE OF DENTAL X-RAYS
Dental X-rays are an important part of our dental cleaning procedures. Performing a full X-ray of your pet’s mouth is crucial in helping us diagnose and prevent dental disease. Because a majority of oral health issues occur below the gum line and within the tooth and surrounding bone, dental X-rays are the only way we can detect these otherwise invisible problems. Dental X-rays also provide us with a more complete picture of your pet’s oral health.
NEED HOME CARE RECOMMENDATIONS?
Call us at (847) 438-3750 to learn more about our dental services and what you can do at home to prevent dental disease. Our veterinarians are more than happy to provide information and demonstrations to help you with your pet’s treatment.
Explore Our Complete List of Veterinary Services in Lake Zurich, IL
Call us or schedule an appointment online.
Meet with a doctor for an initial exam.
Put a plan together for your pet.