Pet Dental Care: The Secret to Keeping Your Best Friend Healthy
Diet, exercise, vaccines, and exams all play a part in your pet’s health, but pet dental care is also integral for continued wellness. At Companion Animal Hospital Lake Zurich, we're advocates for responsible, routine dental care both in the home and at our hospital. We'll help you create a lifelong dental plan tailored to your pet's needs to give them a better quality of life.
What is Dental Disease?
Plaque and tartar allowed to build up on your pet’s teeth will harden over time and eventually spread below the gum line, releasing harmful bacteria. The bacteria will attack the surrounding gum tissue, creating deep pockets around the teeth. In some cases, the bacteria can even get into your pet’s bloodstream and affect their heart, liver, or kidneys.
The most common signs associated with dental disease include:
- Severely bad breath
- Brown/yellow discoloration on teeth
- Loose or broken teeth
- Excessive drooling
- Red, swollen gums (gingivitis)
- Decreased activity
- No interest in chew toys
- Dropping food
- Pawing at mouth
How We Can Help to Prevent Dental Disease
At Companion Animal Hospital Lake Zurich, we offer these professional dental services to keep mouths and bodies healthy:
- Thorough, yearly physical exams that include a quick mouth check for signs of bad breath and discoloration
- A periodontal exam while your pet is sedated so our team can check every tooth and the surrounding gum tissue for evidence of damage
- Digital dental X-rays to help us see inside the teeth, jaw bones, and surrounding facial bones
- A complete dental cleaning that includes scaling each tooth to remove tartar, and polishing the teeth to smooth the enamel and slow future plaque buildup
- Surgical extractions may be needed if your pet has any loose or broken teeth
All patients undergoing dental procedures receive customized pain relief to keep them comfortable well into recovery.